+ ~ -
Please report pronunciation problems here. Select and sample other voices. Options Pause Play
Report an Error

utmost confusion and disorder prevailed. The judge
used bad language and, in fact, swore awfully. Two
other policemen confirmed this evidence. The magistrate
considered that the exhibition itself was calculated to
bring the administration of justice into contempt, but
apart from all considerations of that nature, the holding
of such meetings on a Sabbath evening was highly
reprehensible. He therefore inflicted a fine of 40s. and

At the Kensington petty sessions, on the 8th, Mrs.
G. R. Lowe, a lady residing at Victoria-grove,
Kensington, appeared to a very novel information laid by
Mr. Hanson, for penalties incurred under the 14th and
15th Vict., c. 116, by permitting her "female servant
to stand on the sill of an upstairs window, in order to
clean it, whereby the life of the servant was endangered
and the public decency shocked." Mr. Hanson said he
did not come forward as a common informer, but he
was desirous of stopping the dangerous and indelicate
practice of allowing female servants to clean windows.
The penalty directed by the act for such an offence was
40s. Mrs. Lowe said she was not aware she had done
wrong. The chairman said the defendant had
undoubtedly done wrong. In this case, however, a formal
inaccuracy had been made in the date of the summons,
which was fatal to the charge, otherwise he should have
inflicted the penalty. He hoped this would act as a
caution to the public in future.

Henry Horler, the man who Murdered his wife while
exasperated at her threatened removal from him by her
mother, was hanged at Newgate on the 10th inst. Some
circumstances attach more than usual interest to this
case. Horler had strong hopes of a commutation of his
sentence. About ten days before that appointed for his
death, the sheriffs, accompanied by the ordinary of
Newgate, waited upon Lord Palmerston at the Home
Office, for the purpose of begging the royal clemency to
the case. They had been urged to this by the prisoner,
who dictated a petition. The sheriffs dwelt particularly
upon the fact of mercy having been extended in several
similar cases. Lord Palmerston listened attentively to
the application and expressed an opinion that the sheriffs
had only done their duty in laying before him certain
facts that had not transpired at the trial; but he added,
that, after conferring with the judge who tried the
prisoner, he saw no reason to recommend the exercise of
the Queen's prerogative; in fact, he was not sure that
the frequency of crimes similar to the prisoner's had not
arisen from the clemency referred to. Horler still hoped.
But eventually he prepared for the worst. In the
course of a conversation with the Rev. Mr. Davis on
Saturday, he is said to have made a remarkable admission
"After expressing the great fear he had of undergoing
the actual pain of a violent death, he stated that
he did not think his crime would have cost him his life
that he expected he should have been imprisoned for
life or transported; but that, if he had looked forward
to the punishment of death as a probable contingency,
he should not have committed the crime."

Barbour, who was convicted of Murdering Robinson,
at Sheffield, was to have been hanged on the 8th; but
he was respited for a week, in order that he might, if
possible, substantiate statements which he had made
about the crime, in which he pretended that his friend
M'Cormack was the real murderer. The Home Secretary
directed the Sheffield magistrates to investigate the
case. The effect of the examination was only to
strengthen the proof of the murderer's guilt; and the
result was that he was executed on the 15th.

An agrarian Murder has been perpetrated at Crowl in
Tipperary. Hugh Cauley, bailiff to the Misses Crawford,
was reading a letter at night in the kitchen at his
employers' house, a boy holding a candle to him, when
a gun was fired through a window: a ball passed through
Cauley's body and then lodged in the boy's thigh. It is
supposed that the murder was the deed of one of a gang
who came up to the window; the motive, ill-will for
some persons having been evicted from the Crawford
estate. Government has offered a reward of £100 for the
detection of the assassin.

A singular Trick has been played by the butler of Mr.
Hudson, of Frogmore, in Hertfordshire. The man had
been threatened with dismissal; and thought he could
gain his master's favour by the exhibition of valour in
defending his property. The family were roused in the
night by the report of a pistol-shot. Appearances at
first denoted that robbers had visited the place; the
butler was found lying partly in an adjacent river,
apparently insensible. When he had somewhat
recovered, he said he had disturbed three robbers who were
on the premises. He had had an encounter with them.
They fired, and he fired; then they beat him, and thrust
him into the mud on the river-bank. His watch was
smashed, his coat torn to ribands; there was a hole in
his straw hat, caused by a bullet. But a number of
circumstances were observed which led to a suspicion
that there had been no robbers there at all; and
eventually the butler confessed to the police that he had
concocted the whole affair. In reward for all this
trouble, Mr. Hudson dismissed his too clever and valiant

The convict Kirwan, whose capital sentence was
commuted to transportation for life, has been sent from
Dublin to Cork, along with a number of other convicts,
and conveyed to Spike Island Convict Depot. In the
removal of Kirwan an exception was made from the
usual practice with convicts, as he was allowed to retain
his ordinary attire, and was not manacled. He was
dressed in a fashionable suit of black, with deep crape
on his hat. A further special favour was accorded to
him, he having been accompanied by two of the
metropolitan police, and was associated with free passengers
in the train. On his arrival being made known at the
Cork terminus the place was immediately crowded with
spectators; but he was hurried into a covered vehicle,
which drove quickly off to the steamer, where he at once
secreted himself in the second cabin, retiring in a corner
to screen himself from observation. He appeared in
excellent health and spirits. An investigation has taken
place respecting a previous murder which he was
suspected of having committed, but it has led to no

A commission de lunatico inquirendo, touching the
state of mind of the Earl of Eldon, was held on the
15th ult., at Shirley-park, near Croydon, his lordship's
residence. From the evidence it appeared that up to
June, 1851, Lord Eldon had performed all the duties of
his station in the most satisfactory manner; but in that
year, it is thought from close study, his health gave
way; on the 4th of June, 1851, it became necessary to
call in Dr. Sutherland, and from that time Lord Eldon
had been incapable of managing his own affairs. The
characteristic description of the unsoundness of mind
was, not prevalent delusions, but a partial dementia,
exhibited in great incoherence of conversation, occasional
evanescent delusions, and considerable excitement.
The death of Lady Eldon, in November last, rendered
the present inquiry imperative, as up to the time of her;
death she had managed the property of her husband,
and had also managed him with great affection and tact.
The evidence of Dr. Sutherland, Dr. Forbes Winslow,
and Dr. Tyler Smith conclusively proved that Lord
Eldon was of unsound mind. A deputation from the
jury visited him, and no doubt remained on their
minds as to his unfortunate condition. They returned a
verdict accordingly.

At Burnham Petty Sessions, on the 17th, John
Pickett, landlord of the Plough Inn at Oxford, was
charged, on behalf of the Society for the Prevention of
Cruelty to Animals, with cruelly lll-treating and Over-
driving a Pony. Pickett undertook, for a considerable
wager, to drive a pony in a cart from Oxford to London
and back, a distance of 110 miles, within twenty hours.
The task was performed by means of great cruelty.
Several persons deposed to the state of the poor little
animal on the return journey: its body was wealed,
apparently by blows from a whip and a thick stick; it
could only be made to go at all by severe beating when
leaving a stopping-place; it looked "dead beat"; and
finally, the last stages were performed by a horse and
cart having been attached to the pony and cart, which
were thus dragged into Oxford. Several witnesses for
the defence saw no cruelty exercised, and declared that
the pony was not more distressed after its long labour
than if it had been trotting thirty milesin fact, it was
quite  "fresh." One of these witnesses was not able to